Monday, June 20, 2016

Recycled Birthday Candles - part 1

   So here is how it's done!

1.  Make your designs with polymer clay or even an air dry clay.  Mine are the peach colored smiling candles in the picture here.  Or use a new crayon as your item lol to make crayon shaped candles. Carving designs into a crayon would be a fun way to do it too.

2.  Everyone and every tutorial will tell you that you need a double boiler b/c it is safer, and supposedly the wax will catch fire if you use a saucepan.  I've never had this happen and I never use a double boiler for candles or crayons.  I figure this is because I watch it constantly when the heat is on and never melt large quantities of wax, also if it gets too hot I turn the heat off (you can tell because the wax will start to evaporate) it stays melted for a long while without heat.  So I use a saucepan, but only do this at your own risk.  Use something you are not going to use for food - cheaper little ones from the thrift store are good.  Melt down old birthday candles of similar colors on low heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment